Monday, December 3, 2007

SEP 2007, SILVER CITY, Idaho


Fourteen years in Idaho, and I finally made it to Silver City, an old mining town in the Owyhee mountains. Every weekend after Labor Day weekened is “open house” in Silver City when the various owners open the buildings to visitors. Though I tried to coax many people into coming along, I couldn’t find any takers. BSU football game that weekend, and NFL football in progress provided distraction. But let me tell you, Silver City is a real “gem.” What an opportunity to get out of Boise, and to see some of Idaho. Preservation efforts have come a long ways, and there is much to see. One really gets a feel for stepping back 100+ years into an authentic mining town. I like a weekend of hanging around town watching football just fine, but I’ll take a trip to Silver City anytime. Open House weekend (the second weekend after Labor Day each year) is the time to visit.







http://historicsilvercityidaho.com/
http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/silvercityid.htm
















































No comments: