Tuesday, December 4, 2007

March 2007, SALEM, MASS


Of course “The Crucible” was required reading in high school—story about the Salem Witch Trials, hysteria, executions, Puritanism, and the foundation for a new nation. Basically just another book. Several years ago, a cousin was researching my Dad’s grandmother’s family tree and the name Proctor stood out. Cousin speculated there was a link back to the Proctors of the Salem witch trials. So it turns out that John Proctor was my 9X great grandfather. The Proctor name traveled down many generations, Dad even has a great uncle with the middle name of Proctor. Once I realized that I was connected to a infamous/executed witch, John Proctor, I new that if I was ever in the Boston area that I would have to get to Salem. The Salem witch museum is mostly tourist attraction, but it does cover the story well, and I learned about John. John Proctor refused to admit to witchcraft, even when many did so save their own skin. In fact, he thought the best way to cure young girls who thought they were afflicted with witch-craft was a good spanking. John was executed on June 1692, the first man. Good to know that the family has a history of standing up for the truth, even in the face of strong accusations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Proctor#Background_to_John_Proctor.27s_involvement

I also took in the House of the Seven Gables, toured the ship "Friendship," and sampled some local fare.


No comments: