Saturday, March 22, 2008

2008 March 21 Battleship New Jersey


Today was a visit to the Battleship New Jersey across the Benjamin Franklin Bridge in Camden, NJ. Battleship was in service from 1942 to 1991. I recalled in the early 1980's when the New Jersey, a WWII era battleship, was put back in service by President Reagan and served in the Middle East. It was the New Jersey that was stationed off of Lebanon and pounded the hills over Beirut during the 1983 conflict.
I especially enjoyed the display on Bob Hope's 1983 visit aboard the New Jersey with Brooke Shields; I think I even remember watching that special as a kid. My Grandma always made a point to watch the Bob Hope specials. I also liked seeing the quarters of WWII Admiral Halsey, which had been restored. http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/history/






No comments: